Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Lemon chicken

Since we have been married I try to make home-cooked meals for so many reasons. You get to determine the things that go into your food, the limits are endless, and it really is so much more inexpensive.
A lot of my inspiration of different foods to cook are some of the dishes we try at restaurants, Pinterest, and things that I cannot get gluten free unless I make it myself. I have only really been cooking things from scratch for the last year and a half. So I am still having to do A LOT of trial and error.
It does get frustrating when I am really craving it and then it doesn't turn out. But that's just how it goes. So along with the recipes I give out I'll give tips of things that I did do that does or doesn't help.
Like I mentioned earlier we LOVE PF Chang's. And I was lucky enough to find my favorite dish from there. After making it several times it's hard to spend the money on something that I make just as good or even better tasting. (I mean that in the most humble way. :))
This dish is one of the most commonly asked for by my husband... Which really means a lot. He is not picky in any means. He even eats my burnt meals... Which happens more than I'd like to admit. He really is a great sport about it all. :)




PF Chang's Lemon Chicken-
For the lemon sauce:
1 T. cornstarch, dissolved in small amount of cold water
1 c. chicken broth
juice of 1 lemon
3 T. brown sugar
3 T. liquid honey
1 tsp. minced ginger
Put chicken broth, lemon juice, brown sugar, honey and ginger into skillet or pan and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Turn heat down to a simmer. Stir in cornstarch mixture and simmer 2-3 minutes until thick and syrupy. Keep warm.
For the chicken:
2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch by 1/2 inch chunks
2 T. gluten-free soy sauce or tamari
1 tsp. minced ginger
1 tsp. sesame oil
about 1/2 c. cornstarch
2 – 3 T. oil for frying
2 T. toasted sesame seeds
1. Mix chicken pieces, tamari, ginger and sesame oil and marinate for 20-30 minutes.
2. Spread cornstarch on dinner plate and roll chicken pieces in cornstarch until coated. Place chicken pieces on another dinner plate.
3. Heat oil on medium high heat in a large skillet until a piece of coated chicken sizzles when added, then add more pieces to fill pan without crowding.
4. Saute chicken pieces, turning a few times, until browned all over and cooked through.
5. Wipe out pan and saute remaining chicken in same manner.
6. To serve, spoon warm sauce into dish, place chicken pieces over top, and add steamed broccoli, if desired. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.

This dish takes a while to make.. The first time I made it, it took me like 2 hours. But I have gotten faster the more times I make it. I usually double or even triple the recipe because it serves 2 people. It makes great leftovers and is great to serve when company is over.
Definitely worth the time and effort! :)

Happy eatings!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment