Monday, July 15, 2013

Gluten free flours

When Dusty and I first got married I went through a phase where I wanted to cook and bake everything I could to be gluten free. After all... "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach"... Right?

Well I went onto amazon to find the gf flours that I would need to bake the recipes that my cookbooks called for. At the time they had an AWESOME deal going on and so I bought 4 or 5 different flours. Each flour came with 3 or 4- 22 ounce bags. Being only two of us we didn't go through all that flour fast enough. And As time went on I realized that I didn't know anything about these flours whether they needed to be in the freezer or fridge or how long their shelf life is.

Recently I did some research on gf flours to know for myself how long they last and how to store them. Maybe this info will become useful to all of you.




Potato starch-
doesn't require refrigeration or freezing. 3 year shelf life open or unopened.

Cornstarch-
1 1/2- 2 years max shelf life

Brown rice flour-
4-5 months in refrigerator.
Up to 1 year in the freezer.
May become rancid if stored improperly or if stored for an excessive length of time.

Sorghum flour-
4 months in freezer, if stored in a sealed container or tightly wrapped.

Soy flour-
5-7 months, store tightly wrapped or tightly sealed in the refrigerator or Freezer.

White rice flour-
Store in a right covered container in a cool dry location and it will last indefinitely.

Tapioca starch/flour-
3years- If stored in a cool, dry area.

Bean flour-
18 months- Store in air tight container in a cool and dry area.

Almond flour-
6 months in refrigerator.
12 months in freezer.





Happy eatings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment