Monday, May 6, 2013

What!? You can't have Pizza?

The first question I am always asked, after people figure out what I cannot eat, is so what can you eat?
Simple- dairy products, fruit, Veggies, potatoes, rice, and meat as long as its not breaded.
For some reason people cannot wrap their mind around this.

No I can't have pizza from Pizza Hut, Dominos, or little Caesars. But I can make it gluten free myself! And it's lots healthier for you too!

Here is my favorite pizza recipe that I have found that is not from a pre made mix.

GLUTEN FREE ALL PURPOSE PIZZA CRUST
Contributed by: Barbara & Bob's Red Mill Natural Foods
Gluten Free Pizza Crust.

2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
1 tsp Sugar
3/4 cup Warm Water
1 Egg*
1 Tb Olive Oil
1-1/2 cups GF All Purpose Baking Flour
2 tsp Xanthan Gum
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
Directions

Step 1
Combine yeast, sugar and water in a large bowl and let stand about 5 minutes.
Step 2
Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl. Add egg and oil to wet ingredients, then add dry ingredients. Mix with a hand mixer for a minute, adding a teaspoon of water if dough moves up beaters.
Step 3
Scoop onto greased pizza sheet. Wet your hands with water and spread dough over sheet and smooth. For a thicker crust, let rise for 10 - 15 minutes. Otherwise, continue with the baking directions below.
Step 4
Cover with favorite sauce and toppings. Bake at 425°F for 15-20 minutes.
Notes
*Eggless Option: Combine 1 Tb Flaxseed Meal + 3 Tb Water. Let stand for 5 minutes, then use as egg.

You can find boy's red meal all purpose flour on Amazon for a decent price and it comes in bulk!



First time we had this pizza, our friend made it for us and she never has baked gluten free pizza before and it was so tasty!

Last night I made this 2 of these pizzas and I let the dough for one sit out for 20 minutes and it rose so much in the little of time.
Here are the difference between the two crusts...




This is the first one to cook and if you look closely its a very thin crust.
(Lactose free)



This is the one that sat for 20 minutes. It was very fluffy and airy.

A HUGE tip: when working with gluten free dough of any kind, usually it becomes very sticky. The best way to hand this is to keep you hands wet when working with the dough or even spray your hands with PAM.


First time I made this pizza I cooked it for 20 minutes because my husband likes his pizza crispy and very well done. 20 minutes was too long, the crust ended up being dry.
The second time I made it. I made his pizza for 18 minutes which was perfect for him. And for mine, which I didn't want to be as well done, I did it between 16 and 17 minutes.
Also with this pizza I used a round pizza pan instead or a cookie sheet. I have found that the pizza cooks best on a round pizza pan and it is easier to work with.
I recently bought my own round pan and I found an air pizza pan. Which I do NOT recommend. Because gluten free pizza dough is so sticky that you have to roll it out on the pan and putting the pressure on the air pan pushes the dough into the holes. It ends up being a HUGE mess! So this most recent time I covered the pan with aluminum foil and that seemed to work lots better!


Here is another pizza recipe that I have recently found. I follow this ladies gluten free blog which is glutenfreeschooling.com. She actually sends you weekly emails with information and recipes. I have been getting her emails for the last year+ and I am still getting emails. I love it!! She even has created videos of how to make certain things to give you tips and so you can see how the dough is suppose to look. Although you do have to buy those. She will tell you about certain kitchen tools she uses in her kitchen to help make cooking gluten free easier. Check her out!

Here is the recipe she shares in her email.
Simplified Gluten Free Pizza Crust (Corn Free, Yeast Free, Sugar Free, Rice Free, Casein Free)

(make 2 12" pizzas)

Ingredients:

12 oz. Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Mix

2 Tbsp. guar gum (1 Tbsp. xanthan gum, if you prefer that)

2 tsp. salt

2 Tbsp. olive oil

8 oz. water

Cooking Instructions:

1. Preheat your oven and pizza stone to 500 degrees.

2. In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, salt and guar gum. Add the oil and water (at room temperature) and mix/knead the dough by hand until is is smooth and pliable.

3. Divide the dough into two pieces. Place one piece on a lightly floured surface. Roll or pat the dough out into a circle that is approximately 1/8" thick and 12" diameter.

4. Move the crust to the hot pizza stone and bake at 500 degrees until the top of the crust gets just a hint of color. Remove the crust from the oven. Add all of your toppings, and then put back in the oven to bake until your toppings look well done (e.g. cheese starts to brown).

Note: Once I get the 1st pizza crust in the oven for the first baking, I start rolling out the 2nd crust. The 2nd crust has its first baking while we put the toppings on the 1st pizza. Then the 2nd crust comes out and the 1st pizza goes back in for its final baking.

We top the 2nd pizza and then put it in the oven to bake when the 1st pizza is ready to serve. The 2nd pizza is usually ready by the time we've served everyone, gotten drinks, and are sitting down to eat.


The pizza was great! The texture and taste was great! But I am not a fan of stone ware. It's not the easiest thing to clean.


Happy eatings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment